Learn the art of affinage, the path to perfect cheese plates and how to churn your own butter tomorrow night in our latest installment of the How-To series at Brooklyn Brewery. Anne Saxelby from Saxelby Cheesemongers in Essex Market (and her new caves in Red Hook) will be speaking about aging cheese, fromager Tia Keenan (she helped found Manhattan’s Casellula and worked for Artisanal) will help you compose a cheese course, and folks from Organic Valley will show you how to make that butter. Better still, it’s just $5. Buy those amazingly priced tickets right here, and get the complete run-down of the event, below.
“How to Milk It” at The Brooklyn Brewery : Tickets $5
Oct. 26: Doors at 7:30 p.m., Event from 8 p.m.-10 p.m.
Food available for purchase from the Food Freaks Truck, beer from Brooklyn Brewery.
Lecture 1: Anne Saxelby of Saxelby Cheese on Affinage
– What the craft of affinage is
– The evolution and migration of affinage from Europe to the United States
– Examples of affineurs in the U.S. and abroad (Jasper Hill Farm and Herve Mons)
– A tasting of the affects of affinage, hopefully with samples of the same cheese during different stages of the aging process at Jasper Hill in Vermont
Lecture 2.: Tia Keenan on The Perfect Cheese Plate
– Pairing condiments with cheese to create new flavor combinations.
– Creating cheese plates
– How to select cheeses and what to pair with them, plus samples provided by Lucy’s Whey
Lecture 3: Organic Valley on Butter Making
– An introduction to Organic Valley/CROPP Cooperative
– Butter-making demonstration (with audience participation and samples of the butter you’ll make, as well as Organic Valley NY State Fresh milks and cheeses)