According to the organizers:
Family Meal invites members of our community to make a meal out of memory; to create experiences honoring their families, cultures, and upbringings, crafting and sharing personal stories through food.
On AUG 21 at 1pm, join us for a four course, Gujarati-Indian inspired, Vegetarian menu at the initiation of Bhanumati, a culinary journey and pop up restaurant embracing the inter-connection of identity and food.
From host Ankur Parikh:
Bhanumati, meaning “shining, like the sun,” was the name of my Grandmother, and for this event, all courses will be orchestrated by the collaboration of my mother and I, our first time working together, the subtext of the preparation carrying the communication and passage of generational experiences between us and our strong Gujarati heritage and American landscape.
As has been the case in our family, all first events, including new jobs, homes, etc, involve bearing gifts. All proceeds from this event will therefore be donated to ANANDI India, a nonprofit organization based in Gujarat, India. ANANDI’s vision is to bring rural women’s concerns to the center of developmental processes so that they may live in an equitable society.
- Masala papad, lemongrass infused ice water
- Sprouted mung beans, pomegranate, chaat masala vinaigrette, sev, pickled turmeric
- Steamed patra, toasted pistachios, coriander-coconut chutney, pasilla-tamari sauce, ginger chaanch
- Kadhi, poori, sweet potato sukhi bhaji
- Almond sheera, sprinkled cinnamon, cacao nibs, ice cream